Friday, February 13, 2009

Friday 13th

This is a day where you do not want to walk under a ladder or have a cat cross your path. WTF! What is the big deal with Friday the 13th? I decided to do some digging regarding the number 13 and the day Friday. Everything has history right?

Before 13 is number 12 and what does the number 12 symbolize? Well the first thing that comes to mind is there are 12 hours on a clock, 12 differnt signs in a zodiac, 12 months in a calender year, 12 Gods. I think they were called the 12 Olympians. The number 12 also represents the twelve apostles of Jesus. The list could go on. I mean how is the number 13 going to stand up against the 12 apostles of Jesus.

With Jesus on my mind and the number 13 the first thing that comes to my mind is the last supper. This was where Jesus and his Apostles ate bread and drank from a cup. Again I am unsure of how accurate this information is. In my mythology class I remember talking about how the number 13 had an evil shadowing. One of the books I read called Holiday Folklore, Phobias and Fun by Donald E Dossey mentioned that the 13Th guest at the last super was uninvited. God of Joy and gladness was shoot by a mistletoe tipped arrow. Now that is some crazy stuff. I am not saying all this stuff is true I mean hello the class was called Mythology.

It seems that the number 13 has just had a bad wrap. I am flying today on the 13Th to visit my mom in Portland so hopefully this myth of the date Friday the 13Th is false. If it is true... then dang I'm screwed!

No comments:

Post a Comment