Thursday, January 29, 2009

Dance and Live

I barely remember when when I first met Niki. I think it was on the dance floor at a club. In fact I am almost positive we were out on the dance floor doing the kid and play or better yet the the roger rabbit. Yeah we had moves people only wished they had...so we thought. Niki and I were friends through friends. She always happened to be at the same place I was. This is how we created our friendship.

In early 2008 I heard a disturbing rumor about Niki. I thought to myself no way not Niki, she is so young and full of life. The rumors became a reality when Niki came over to one of our famous BBQ's we had. You know the typical BBQ by the pool lots of beer and margaritas and lets not forget the 30 girls in bikinis. Our neighbors loved us! Niki started talking to me and eventually started talking about the big rumor. While she was explaining what has taken place everything became cloudy and empty once I heard the words Breast Cancer.

Niki was a 23 year old women who was facing the fact that time here on earth was going to be short lived. See we all thought she went home to visit these past few months when in fact she went home to battle chemo. She lost the battle and was told she only had a few more months to live. At some point she decided to come back to Vegas where her friends were. She needed to live these next few months.

After she explained her fight against Breast Cancer she looked at me and said "I didn't want anyone to know in fear of being treated different." My response was, "Niki your black...we always look at you different." After that comment we never brought up her battle of cancer again. Instead we went out, we dance and we lived.

As I mentioned Niki and I were friends of friends. We were not best friends who talked everyday. Having to face a battle like Breast Cancer at the age of 23 is something I could never bare. I could say she lost her battle to cancer in January of 2009 but that doesn't suit Niki. Although she is gone I don't feel like she lost a battle but yet she is experiencing another journey. A journey we will experience someday.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, Sharee, that post is so touching. I love the line, "Niki, you're black..." Humor amid poignancy--I love that. Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite post of yours so far...keep it up!

    My friend also passed away from breast cancer a couple of years ago at the age of 30. She battled her illness over the course of several year - ultimately it ravaged her body, but never crushed her spirit. She was happy when I met her in our childhood, and remained happy until her earthly end.

    People like her and Niki are absolutely inspiring even though they are gone. I had reevaluated how I live my life as a result of losing my friend: Life is different when you value every day you have and make the most of what you are given - it's so much better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our sympathies to you and Niki and her family...so young...By the way - you are a great writer! Must be that SJHS English teacher!

    I don't know how I found your blog but I did! How the heck are you? check out my blog at www.naniandboys.blogspot.com! I love you...I hope all is well - it sounds like it is! Take care! Love - Nani

    ReplyDelete